Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pressing Share


There was a moment when all I wanted to do was to push "Share" on Facebook with the words, "Fuck you, Billy" in the comments section, and for a brief moment the cursor hovered over that button with all my anger contained in the tip of my index finger. Then, I saw it all spiral outward. He would become angry. Another message would be posted. And what was a simple hurt feelings over being forgotten about on the sidewalk as I waited for our date would turn in to a clash of clans with friends choosing sides and gossip spreading like the San Diego fires.

I did press "Share"; then, I immediately pressed "Delete". However, nothing is truly lost in life or on the web. It is simply hidden or misplaced.

Billy saw his message. I was grateful he didn't share his comments. It was as if Smokey the Bear had talked sense into someone. I could learn something here. But I am an American. Most likely, I will need to learn it again.