My Core Values
Through coaching I did with a fantastic coach named Dewey Schott, I was able to identify 12 values that are incredibly important to me and guide the way I live my life. Of those twelve, six are core values - values that guide my actions and reside at the forefront of my mind. And six are secondary values - values that support my core values. Listed below are my six core values, my definition of them, what I need to support these values, and what takes me away from them.
Love and Affection: The ability to verbally and physically express emotions, feelings, and the true self with others over time.
What I need: a sense of self; openness; failure; connections to my emotions; loyalty and commitment; honesty; being okay with 'touch' (being touched both physically and nonphysically)
What takes me away: personally constructed barriers; self loathing; internalized oppression
Exploration: The ability to let go and be immersed in the world.
What I need: inquiry; release of power and control; sense of something greater than myself; not needing to be right or correct; being open to possibilities; vision; selflessness; ambiguity
What takes me away: tunnel vision and narrow mindedness; dogma; authority; self doubt
Honesty and Integrity: The ability to openly express thoughts, feelings, ideas, and emotions in a consistent way.
What I need: communication; sense of self and self worth; feedback; active listening; transparency
What takes me away: fear; failure; shutting down the feedback loop; uncertainty; self interest; personally constructed barriers
Equity: The ability to be fair, impartial, and just.
What I need: sense of self and identity; intentionality; willingness to try and not be afraid of failure; ability to check privilege; ability to differentiate needs and wants; willingness to give up power and control; interdependence; innovation; long term commitment; transformation
What takes me away: cookie cutter equality; need for power and control; societal isolation; continually shifting commitments; oppression in all its forms; lack of identity
Innovation and Transformation: The ability to look at things from multiple angles and see patterns, ideas, and concepts organically emerge.
What I need: creativity; a sense of possibility; risk; structure; vision; knowledge; resources; failure; sense of something greater than myself; openness to change
What takes me away: unyielding bureaucracy; pessimism; ignorance; closed-mindedness; fear; stodginess
Humor and Joy: The ability to see suffering in the world and remain hopeful.
What I need: laughter; analysis; self deprecation; connection and disconnection; empathy; smiles; openness; communication; absurdity; willingness to fail; hope; bravery and courage; youthfulness
What takes me away: authority; censorship; despair; being lost in suffering; taking on the suffering of others; the need to 'fix' things; stress; ignorance
Love and Affection: The ability to verbally and physically express emotions, feelings, and the true self with others over time.
What I need: a sense of self; openness; failure; connections to my emotions; loyalty and commitment; honesty; being okay with 'touch' (being touched both physically and nonphysically)
What takes me away: personally constructed barriers; self loathing; internalized oppression
Exploration: The ability to let go and be immersed in the world.
What I need: inquiry; release of power and control; sense of something greater than myself; not needing to be right or correct; being open to possibilities; vision; selflessness; ambiguity
What takes me away: tunnel vision and narrow mindedness; dogma; authority; self doubt
Honesty and Integrity: The ability to openly express thoughts, feelings, ideas, and emotions in a consistent way.
What I need: communication; sense of self and self worth; feedback; active listening; transparency
What takes me away: fear; failure; shutting down the feedback loop; uncertainty; self interest; personally constructed barriers
Equity: The ability to be fair, impartial, and just.
What I need: sense of self and identity; intentionality; willingness to try and not be afraid of failure; ability to check privilege; ability to differentiate needs and wants; willingness to give up power and control; interdependence; innovation; long term commitment; transformation
What takes me away: cookie cutter equality; need for power and control; societal isolation; continually shifting commitments; oppression in all its forms; lack of identity
Innovation and Transformation: The ability to look at things from multiple angles and see patterns, ideas, and concepts organically emerge.
What I need: creativity; a sense of possibility; risk; structure; vision; knowledge; resources; failure; sense of something greater than myself; openness to change
What takes me away: unyielding bureaucracy; pessimism; ignorance; closed-mindedness; fear; stodginess
Humor and Joy: The ability to see suffering in the world and remain hopeful.
What I need: laughter; analysis; self deprecation; connection and disconnection; empathy; smiles; openness; communication; absurdity; willingness to fail; hope; bravery and courage; youthfulness
What takes me away: authority; censorship; despair; being lost in suffering; taking on the suffering of others; the need to 'fix' things; stress; ignorance
Labels: jason wyman

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home